Monday, December 3, 2012

NOOL KOL / TURNIP KORMA

Serving size - 3 


Preparation time - 15 minutes


Cooking time - 15 or 20 minutes




Korma is very familiar side dish for roti varieties. It is bit different from original kormas. I used turnip as main ingredient in this side dish. My husband is picky food eater. I thought of doing something different on my 4th wedding anniversary. It should be healthy as well as have to get good marks from my husband. I tried this recipe. It came out awesome. My hubby loved it very much and drowned me on his praising showers. I was flying. My lil. one also loved it very much and told Amma Kumma super ikki :) I was flying flying flying....  for the whole day. I told my mom that she was very glad to hear this. It is my own recipe. It came as my hubby and lil. Prince's favorite. SO I would like to dedicate this recipe to MY HUBBY and MY LIL. PRINCE




Ingredients

Turnip - 1 small cubed
Potato - 1/2 or 1 small cubed (optional)
Frozen Green peas - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 cup chopped
Tomato - 1
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp (freshly grounded)
Cinnamon - 1
Annise star - 1
Curry leaves - 4 or 5 leaves
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Mango powder - a pinch (optional)
Water - 1 or 1 1/2 cups
Oil - 2 or 3 tsp
Salt - as needed

To grind for paste

Shredded Coconut - 2 or 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds - 3/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp (Upto your spice level)
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Cashews - 2 (optional)
Tomato - 1/2 


Method

  • Grind all the ingredients under the heading ' to grind for paste' into a fine paste. Note :If you need water, use little water to make fine paste. Sometimes, tomatoes juice is enough for making fine paste.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon & star to fry for few seconds.

  • Add onions & curry leaves, fry until onion slightly changes its color.
 
  • Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes.
  • Add tomatoes, mango powder, salt and turmeric. Fry until tomatoes are cooked soft.

  • Add grounded masala to the onion & tomato gravy. Fry it for less than a minute and add 1 cup or more water. (According to the consistency. It should not be too watery)


   


  • Allow it to boil for 5 minutes or until raw smell goes.

  • In the mean time, keep potato & turnip with little water & salt in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes to cook 3/4 of that veggies.
  • Now add boiled potato, turnip and green peas to the Korma.
  • Allow it to boil for 5 or 10 minutes. 
  • Turnip korma is ready and serve it with any roti varieties.


Tips 

  • If you use dry green peas, soak it over night and boil it for sometime before you add to the korma.
  • If you use fresh green peas, boil if for sometime(can use microwave too) before you add to the Korma. 
I'm sending this to my friend Nithu's Kitchen

Event Announcement & Giveaway - Walking Through the Memory Lane  

which is hosted for her friend Gayathri from Gayathri's cookspot




12 comments:

  1. Kurma looks yum :) and perfect with chappati

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely recipe yashodha, mouthwatering here.

    today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2012/12/aam-ras.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delicious kurma..Haven't tried nool kol until now...Will try this Yash :)
    Soya Chunks Curry / Meal Maker Curry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! Delicious kurma.

    Friends Participate in Healthy Food for Healthy Kids – Wraps and Rolls.
    http://www.asiyama.blogspot.com/2012/11/healthy-food-for-healthy-kids-event.html


    ReplyDelete
  5. hey yasho!!! grab your awards for your blog from my space :)
    http://desifiesta.blogspot.com/2012/12/my-first-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. Thanks dear!!! I'll do all those instructions trow dear!!!

      Delete

FACEBOOK POPUP CODE
Don't Forget To Join US Our Community
×
bloggerWidget