Serving Size - 3
Preparation time - 15 to 20 mins
Cooking time - 30 to 40 mins
This is my husband's favorite dish. He is an ardent lover of cooking. He is also one of my best teachers in cooking. He inspired me by cooking my favorite and delicious dishes. I want to dedicate this recipe for him. It is a delicious recipe. I got it from my aunt(Mrs. Jamuna Mohandoss). She is a wonderful cook. I want to thank her for sharing this recipe.
Fresh coconut milk - 1 1/4 cups
Basmathi rice - 1 1/4 cups
Water - 1 1/4 cups
Cinnamon - a small piece
Cloves - 2
Star anise seed - 1
Green chillies - 8
Shallots - 8
Garlic - 5 pods (optional)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbs
Curry leaves - 1 sprig (optional)
Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Salt - as required
Ghee - 1 1/4 tbs
- Wash basmathi rice and soak in the water for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Mean while, extract fresh coconut milk from shredded coconut with luke warm water.(see the note below on how to make fresh coconut milk)
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves, star anise seeds and fry for 3 or 4 seconds.
- Fry green chillies for 3 or 4 seconds. Add shallots, garlic and ginger garlic paste. Fry for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and cilantro. Fry until the raw smell goes from ginger garlic paste.
- Drain basmathi rice from the water and keep the water aside.
- Add the drained rice to the mixture and fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until the rice are slightly crisp.
- Remove the rice mixture from the pan to electric rice cooker.
- Add water, coconut milk and salt to the rice mixture in the electric rice cooker. Cook until the rice is cooked.
- After 15 minutes remove the rice from the cooker and mix thoroughly. Serve hot with chicken curry or any veggie curries or gravies.
(Ratio of shredded coconut & water is 1 : 1 1/4)
- Grind 1 cup of shredded coconut with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of luke warm water. Squeeze the ground coconut to extract coconut milk. Filter the coconut milk into another bowl.
- Repeat until you have enough coconut milk.
I'm sending this new recipe to FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
Click here to go to Zesty South indian Kitchen
I'm also sending this to Hubby's delight contest, click on the logo to go to the event page
I'm sending this to my friend Nithu's Kitchen
which is hosted for her friend Gayathri from Gayathri's cookspot