Saturday, December 1, 2012

COCONUT MILK RICE / THENGAI PAAL SADHAM

Serving Size - 3 


Preparation time - 15 to 20 mins


Cooking time - 30 to 40 mins

 



 

 

This is my husband's favorite dish. He is an ardent lover of cooking. He is also one of my best teachers in cooking. He inspired me by cooking my favorite and delicious dishes. I want to dedicate this recipe for him. It is a delicious recipe. I got it from my aunt(Mrs. Jamuna Mohandoss). She is a wonderful cook. I want to thank her for sharing this recipe.



Ingredients

 


 


Fresh coconut milk - 1 1/4 cups
Basmathi rice - 1 1/4 cups
Water - 1 1/4 cups
Cinnamon - a small piece
Cloves - 2
Star anise seed - 1
Green chillies - 8
Shallots - 8
Garlic - 5 pods (optional)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbs
Curry leaves - 1 sprig (optional)
Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Salt - as required
Ghee - 1 1/4 tbs

Method

 



 

  1. Wash basmathi rice and soak in the water for 15 - 20 minutes.
  2. Mean while, extract fresh coconut milk from shredded coconut with luke warm water.(see the note below on how to make fresh coconut milk)
  3. Heat ghee in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves, star anise seeds and fry for 3 or 4 seconds.
  4. Fry green chillies for 3 or 4 seconds. Add shallots, garlic and ginger garlic paste. Fry for few seconds.
  5. Add curry leaves and cilantro. Fry until the raw smell goes from ginger garlic paste.
  6. Drain basmathi rice from the water and keep the water aside.
  7. Add the drained rice to the mixture and fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until the rice are slightly crisp.
  8. Remove the rice mixture from the pan to electric rice cooker.
  9. Add water, coconut milk and salt to the rice mixture in the electric rice cooker. Cook until the rice is cooked.
  10. After 15 minutes remove the rice from the cooker and mix thoroughly. Serve hot with chicken curry or any veggie curries or gravies.
Note
(Ratio of shredded coconut & water is 1 : 1 1/4)

  1. Grind 1 cup of shredded coconut with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of luke warm water. Squeeze the ground coconut to extract coconut milk. Filter the coconut milk into another bowl.
  2. Repeat until you have enough coconut milk.


I'm sending this new recipe to FEAST FOR YOUR GURU






FEAST FOR YOUR GURU




Click here to go to Zesty South indian Kitchen

I'm also sending this to Hubby's delight contest, click on the logo to go to the event page




I'm sending this to my friend Nithu's Kitchen

Event Announcement & Giveaway - Walking Through the Memory Lane  

which is hosted for her friend Gayathri from Gayathri's cookspot

10 comments:

  1. Hi Yashodha, thanks for linking for my event dear... n your coconut milk rice really super duper delicious... we make this often... n happy to follow u dear... keep sending your entries dear...
    Join in my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi... thanks for linking to my event dear... I too love this rice very much... we often do this... do send more entries dear...
    Today's Virunthu (Feast)- Vegetable Fried Rice Using Normal Rice
    Join in my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Viji :) I'll try to send more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey i also tried yur cocunut milk rice de......came very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it?? Your words are really a good booster for me. Thanks Kavitha :) Keep on encouraging me!!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi yashoda.. nice recipe !! I have an ongoing recipe contest in my website called hubby's delight contest where you need to send your husband's favourite recipe.
    http://www.cookitupwithlove.com/p/contests-and-giveaways.html
    I am looking forward to your active participation. The prize for the contest is e-gift vouchers from flipkart.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sending your recipe to the Hubby's Delight Contest....Send other recipes as well if you wish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for participating in the Hubby's delight contest in cookitupwithlove.com. Send in other recipes as well if you wish :)

    ReplyDelete

FACEBOOK POPUP CODE
Don't Forget To Join US Our Community
×
bloggerWidget