Serving size - 2 or 3
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 10 minutes
I am an ardent lover of chutney as always. I thought of avoiding coconut today. So I have tried this thuvayal for rice. You can also keep this as the best side for idly and dosa too. It was really tasted good and we enjoyed it, especially my little picky eater :) Here I used healthy veggies carrot and cabbage. Instead of coconut, I used onion and tomato in this thuvayal.
Onion - 1/2 cup (chopped square)
Tomato - 1/4 (chopped square)
Cabbage - 1/3 or more cup
Large Carrot - 1/2 (sliced)
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Red chillies - 4 or 5
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp for frying
Salt - as needed
Seasoning ( optional)
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 3 or 4
Oil - 1 tsp
- Heat 2 to 3 tsp of oil in a pan, add urad dal , salute it for half a minute.
- Add red chillies before the urad dal starts getting golden color and fry for few seconds, add onions, cabbage and carrot. Salute it for 1 or 2 minutes. (Note : don't burn urad dal or red chillies, it will spoil the taste)
- Finally add tomatoes and salute it for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Allow it to get cool and grind all together with salt.
- Replace ground thuvayal into a bowl and serve it with rice or idly or dosa.
- Seasoning is optional. If you would like to add seasoning, heat oil, once it gets heated, add curry leaves and mustard seeds. Add the seasoning to the thuvayal once mustard seeds are splutter.