Serving size - 1 small bowl
Preparation time - 30 minutes
Cooking time - less than 5 minutes
Vazhai poo is one of the healthiest veggie to eat. I usually do usuli, kootu and kola urundai kuzhambu using vazhaipoo. But I heard from my friend that we could also prepare thuvaiyal too. I got this recipe from my friend Gayathri. I love this thuvaiyal to the core. Even my little one likes to eat this thuvaiyal with white rice. I would really thank Gayathri for sharing this wonderful recipe with me.
This is the first time, I tried vazhaipoo thovaiyal. So that I made only little amount but it turns out very yummy.
Water -1/4 cup
Red chillies - 2
Urad dal -1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1/4 tsp
Hing powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - a bit
Salt - as needed
Oil -1 tsp
- Add one cup of banana flower in the 1/4 cup of water and allow it to cook for few minutes. Once it has done, please keep it beside until it will get cool.
- In the mean time, heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds,urad dal, hing powder, red chillies one after one. Keep it beside for sometime or until they come to normal room temperature.
- Its the time to take out the blender, add all the roasted ingredients, salt & tamarind and blend it for less than a minute. Finally add chopped vazhaipoo to that mixture and blend it nicely.
- Vazhaipoo thovaiyal is ready and it will goes with rice rice as well as for idli dosa too.
- Please make sure that the banana flower taste good or bitter. If its bitter, please add urad dal, chillies and salt more.
- While cleaning and cutting banana flower, please add small amount of buttermilk to the water and store the chopped banana flower in that water to avoid blackening.
- You can also slightly fry vazhaipoo/banana flower in the pan with little oil. To avoid using excess of oil, I used to cook that in the boiling water.