Serving size - 3 or 4
Preparation time - 5 to 10 minutes
Cooking time - 5 minutes
IngredientsGinger - 6 inches
Coconut - 3 tbs
Brown sugar/Jaggery - 2 tsp
Urad dal - 4 tsp
Red chillies - 8 to 10
Curry leaves -4 or 5 (optional)
Tamarind - 1 1/4 inches
Cilantro - few leaves (less than 1/4 cup)
Hing powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - as required
- Remove the skin of the ginger and slice it into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry urud dal, hing powder and red chillies together for 1 or 2 minutes in a low flame. Before they goes to dark brown color, remove it from the heat and keep it aside.
- Fry ginger in the same pan for a minute and fry coconut,curry leaves & tamarind to it for less than a minute.
- Allow it to cool. Grind urud dal, red chillies and salt into coarse powder.
- Add, coconut, ginger, curry leaves, tamarind, brown sugar, cilantro and grind 1 or 2 rounds.
- Add little water and grind to paste.
- Ginger thuvayal is ready. Serve it with white rice or idly or dosa.
If you don't want too spicy, please add oil or ghee with rice.