IngredientsRed chillies - 1 cup
Byadagi Chillies - 15
Whole Garlic - 1 (don't remove skin)
Channa dal - 2 tbs
White sesame seeds - 2-3 tbs
Curry leaves - 1 or 2 sping
Urud dal - 1 1/4 cup
Hing powder - 1 tbs
Oil - 5-6 tbs
Salt - as required
- Heat 2 tbs of oil in a pan, fry red chillies and byadagi chillies until 2 to 3 mins or before it gets black color. Keep it aside to get cool.(part-A)
- Add 1/2 tbs oil in a pan, fry whole garlic,sesame seeds, curry leaves and channa dal until sesame seeds are split & channa dal gives some aroma. Keep it aside to get cool. (part-B)
- Add 2 1/2 tbs oil in a pan, fry urud dal and hing powder until urud dal turns into light brownish color. Keep it aside to get cool.(part-C)
- Grind part-A in the mixie, then add part-B and grind until it turns to coarse powder.
- Finally, add part-C and salt. Grind altogether into a fine powder.
- Idli podi is ready. Serve it with idly, dosa, idiyappam and sometimes with curd rice.