Serving size - 2 or 3
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 5 minutes
I usually like thuvayal varieties. When I go to my paatti's home, my aunt always make special varieties for me. She likes to try new recipes. One day, she made this thuvayal. I was very much impressed and started doing this thuvayal after my marriage :) I really thank her for introducing this nice recipe.
Carrot - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Radish - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Red chillies - 4 or 5
Tamarind - 1/4 inch
Cilantro - 5 or 6 leaves (optional)
Coconut - 1 tbs
Hing powder - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - as required
- Heat oil in a pan, fry urad dal and red chillies until it turns golden color. Remove it from the flame and keep it aside for cool.
- Fry carrot, radish, tamarind and hing powder in the same pan for 2 or 3 minutes or until the raw smell goes. Remove it from flame and keep it aside to cool.
- Grind urud dal, red chillies and salt together into coarse powder.
- Add carrot, radish, tamarind, coconut and cilantro to grind together with the coarse powder.
- Add little water to it. Carrot radish thuvayal is ready.
- Serve it with white rice and ghee, any mixed rice, curd rice or idly or dosa.
I'm going to send this to