Serving size - 2 or 3
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 20 to 25 minutes
Gold nugget squash is like a orange pumpkin. It contains fibre content. It is healthy vegetable which is available during fall and winter. Simply it available in the time of halloween which is a harvest festival in USA during october month. In our home(mom's home), we usually keep this curry with pumpkin. But I used gold nugget squash instead of pumpkin.
Gold nugget squash - 1 small bowl (cubed)
Onion fryums(vathal) - 1 tsp
Garlic - 5 or 6 pods
Water - 1 cup
Brown sugar/ jaggery - 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp (upto your sweet level)
Sambar powder - 3 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind juice - 3/4 cup (Water - 3/4 cup + Tamarind - 3 blue berries size )
Hing powder - a pinch
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - as needed
Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion fryums(vathal) and curry leaves. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add garlic and gold nugget squash. Fry for a minute.
- Add water, jaggery and hing powder. Allow it to boil until the nugget squash are more than half cooked.
- In the mean time, add sambar powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in the tamarind juice. Keep it aside for 15 minutes to half an hour.
- Once nugget are more than half cooked, add this tamarind mixture to the pan. Again allow it to boil until the curry gets thicken.
- It should be sweet, sour and spicy. We can serve this curry with white rice, curd rice or idly or dosa too.
Don't over cook gold nugget squash, it will dissolve in the curry.
I'm sending this to simply food
Also I'm sending this to 60 Days To Christmas