Serving size - 1 or 2
Preparation time - 5 to 10 minutes
Cooking time - 5 minutes (Rice cooking time is not included)
Coconut rice is very famous and important mixed rice varieties in South India. Most of them think coconut increases cholesterol. Of course, they are right. But be clear, we can reduce cholesterol by uncooked coconut and cooked coconut on the flame increases cholesterol.
Cooked rice - 2 cups
Shredded Coconut - 1/3 cup
Green chillies - 5
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/3 tsp
Curry leaves - 4 or 5
Hing powder - a pinch
Cilantro - handful (Garnishing)
Splitted Cashews - 10(optional)
Carrot - 1 tbs (optional)
oil - 2tsp
Salt - as needed
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. Once it splutters add curry leaves, hing powder and green chillies. Fry for few seconds.
- Add cashews, urad dal and fry for 10 - 15 seconds or until before it turns golden color.
- Switch off the stove and add shredded carrot, shredded coconut with salt into the seasoning. Fry for a minute. Don't cook coconut much, it will increases cholesterol.
- Add cooked cooled rice into the mixture and mix gently.
- Garnish it with cilantro.
- Coconut rice is ready. Serve it with chips, vathal or appalam.
- Cooked rice should be fluffy and each of the rice are seperate.
- Normal rice is good to taste than the basmathi rice.